Bake off: Lemon & Elderflower Cake

02:20

I'm really excited to have The Great British Bake off back on our tellies. I love baking, even though I could never compete with the contestants on the show! I'd like to think that I'll attempt anything at least once, so this year I'm going to bake along with British Bake off. There is a different category each week so I'll make something in that category and aim to post photos of what I've made and the recipe too. This week the category was cake! I've started with quite a simple recipe so everyone can join in.

So.... here's my Lemon & Elderflower Cake

You'll need...

Cake mixture
150g softened butter
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
65ml Elderflower cordial
1 tsp Baking Powder
Zest of 1 ½ lemons
200g self-raising flour

Syrup
100g sugar
juice of 1 ½ lemons
75ml Elderflower cordial
50ml Water

Icing
100g butter
150g icing sugar

To make...
Pre-heat the oven to 180oC/gas mark 4.
Line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
Mix together the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl.
Add the eggs, cordial, baking powder and lemon zest.
Fold in the flour until smooth.
Pour into the cake tin and bake for 40mins or until golden.

Meanwhile, make the syrup...
Put the sugar, lemon juice, elderflower cordial and water into a saucepan and mix together
Heat for 5 mins or until sugar had dissolved.
Leave to cool.

Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool completely.

Meanwhile make your icing...
Mix together the butter and icing sugar, until it is a creamy consistency.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice and a glug of elderflower cordial to taste.

Skewer the cake with a fork and pour over the syrup, allowing it to soak into the holes.
Spread the icing over the cake and decorate with the left over lemon 1/2 cut into thin slices.



Cake stand, tins and other goodies available from my "At Home" collection. Exclusive to debenhams 

You Might Also Like

0 comments